- We try to talk to him first and explain to him that what he’s doing is wrong (whatever it may be). And if after a couple of times, if he don’t listen then he get one or two swats.
- Have him lay across our lap with his bottom up. We deliver each swat (we used a specific belt …we don’t use our hand because our hand is for loving touch) only on his clothed bottom and only hard enough that he feel mild discomfort.
- Sit him up at eye level, repeat the explanation, and have him agree that he will not repeat the behavior again. Ask him to apologize.
- Assure him that we’re not happy giving him a spank but he needed it to remind himself not to do it again.
- Tell him that we love him.
On that particular night, we learned a lesson:
- preschooler also need some space
- some moment to be silent
- not to nag your hubby as well as your kid
If you are not comfortable with spanking , then choose whatever form of discipline that works for your child. Sometimes, talking and explaining is enough and other times it warrants a time out, a smack, grounding, privileges taken away, but it really does depend on you and your child. Whatever you chose to do, be very consistent.