Few more days and we’ll welcome another year of our lives. I’ll be 30 something and I’m grateful to God for letting me enjoy my days on earth for this long. It’s my desire to have another 30+ years of happy living with my love ones. Yes, I wanted to live longer to serve my family and to see my child (and future kids) grow up, get married and see my grandkids. I implore God to grant my desire coupled with the following 10 ways to live longer that you can do too. Once you’ve made all ten part of your life, you’ll feel like a new person. We’ve all heard the statement that you are what you eat and sadly, it’s true.
1. Be vigilant on what you eat. Your diet today will show up on your face and body in the years to come. Since it’s the only body you’ll get, take care of it by eating the healthiest way. Have lean meats, keep your portions healthy, drink plenty of water and get your fruits and veggies.
2. Work up a sweat. Don’t beat yourself up if you can’t exercise every day. It’s okay to take a day off. It’s okay to exercise three days a week. Something is better than nothing. But you’ll find yourself looking forward to moving if you look for an exercise routine that’s fun. Though exercise and fun don’t sound like they belong in the same sentence, you can find them. Make it enjoyable. Try the 3-20 minutes Zumba express.
3. Don’t forget to laugh a lot. Find the humor in all you do from your job to your exercise routine. Having regular laughter in your life helps reduce stress. A good laugh is like a mini-workout – 100 to 200 laughs are equivalent to ten minutes of jogging or rowing, says US cardiologist, Dr William Fry. Research also shows that it lowers levels of stress hormones, and heightens the activity of the body’s natural defensive killer cells and antibodies.
4. Stay optimistic. Optimistic people outlive pessimistic people. The mind is one of your most powerful weapons against thoughts that can drag you down. Your way of thinking can not only impact the quality of your life, but also how long you actually live. In 2002, researchers at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., found that optimistic people decreased their risk of early death by 50 percent compared with those who leaned more towards pessimism.
5. Make sure that you stay social. People who have regular get-together with friends enjoy a longer life. A strong social network helps people to enjoy relationships where they can find acceptance and support. Thanks God for Pinay Mommies Community (group of Filipino moms who helped each other emotionally and technical aspects of blogging career and most of all having true online friends who will tell you SHIT when you need one.) and Marce Club (marce (märs). n. gay speak for a close female friend.).
6. Get rid of bad habits that can damage health. Never smoke again.The earlier you give up the better. Because the damage caused by smoking is cumulative, the longer a person smokes the greater the risk of developing a smoking-related disease, such as lung cancer, heart disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Some 120,000 deaths a year are attributable to smoking, says anti-smoking lobby group, Ash. Submit yourself for dual diagnosis treatment when you have both an alcohol and/or drug problem as well as a psychiatric condition.
7. Pamper yourself. Treat yourself kindly. Go to a massage parlor, to a beauty saloon or spa to unwind once in a while. T0o many times we treat ourselves in ways we wouldn’t treat our worst enemy. Don’t beat yourself up emotionally.
8. Don’t put off doing what you look forward to. Saving for the future is important but don’t become Grinch-like in your quest to save. Make sure you spend both time and money on the things that bring you satisfaction.
9. Take supplements that contain anti-aging properties. To beat aging and look younger, one great option is use of non-hormonal anti-aging supplements. Coupled with good diets, regular exercising, habitual skin care and use of vitamins, non-hormonal anti-aging supplements are scientifically proven products having profound anti-aging action. Each of these non-hormonal anti-aging supplements has distinctly different mechanism and seat of action to help you look younger. While some of them have powerful anti-aging properties and minimize cellular decay, there are others that enhance memory function, improve blood circulation, reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke, improve metabolism and increase energy availability in the body. To look younger and feel dynamic, these attributes are some of the basic requirements.
10. Find God. Going to church increases life expectancy, according to a study in the International Journal for Psychiatry and Medicine. It’s particularly good at helping people’s stress and emotional problems, and seems to protect against diseases such as heart, respiratory or digestive problems.
To many people, quality of life is equally as important as life span. It is a good thing, then, that many of the things that can improve your longevity can also improve your quality of life.